How to Apply
- The application process for the 2018 Fellowship opened on Monday February 12th, 2018.
- The closing date for applications is the end the day on Thursday, May 31st, 2018.
- Complete the application through the application link. Please do not email any materials.
- Please note that only applicants who make it to the next stage of the application process will be contacted.
- We accept applications from the United States, Egypt, Great Britain, Jordan, Lebanon, and France.
- All applicants need to be between 24 and 35 years of age.
- Egyptian applicants cannot have visited the United States previously, and United States applicants cannot have traveled to Egypt. If you are an applicant from France, Great Britain, Jordan, or Lebanon you should not have visited the US or Egypt.
- Those selected are known as Gabr Fellows and are selected by an expert panel throughout a rigorous application process.
- The Shafik Gabr Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, political party, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or financial ability.
- Please submit only one application.
- For more information about the Fellowship, please review the Fellowship Handbook. Download here.
- The Egypt portion of the program will begin on Friday, August 31, 2018 and conclude on Sunday, September 9, 2018. The US program will begin on Sunday, September 30, 2018 and conclude on Sunday, October 7, 2018.
- Safety is of primary importance to the Gabr Fellowship. On matters of travel and security, the Shafik Gabr Foundation will follow the direction of the U.S. State Department and the Government of Egypt.
- In order to maximize the benefits of the Fellowship, Fellows will share rooms. Each room will house one American Fellow and one Egyptian Fellow of the same gender. There will be no exceptions.
- All lodging, travel, and meals are covered by the Foundation. However, American Fellows are responsible for their transportation to and from JFK airport in New York and Egyptian Fellows are responsible for their travel to and from Cairo.
- All Fellows must have a regular passport valid for at least six months. Fellows are not allowed to travel on official or diplomatic passports. There will be no exceptions.
- All applicants must have English language proficiency.